George or "Squire" Cummings came to the village of Rosemont in 1857 and purchased a parcel
of land from Hugh Morrison that fronted Commercial Street (now Hwy 89). In 1861-62 George constructed the
building, which would one day become the modern Rosemont General Store and Kitchen. George sold the building
in 1886, and since then, it has gone through several owners.
In 1945, James E. and Annie Q. Nicol purchased the building and ran a general store, known as Nicol's store.
The Nicols sold the store 1950 and it passed
through several more owners including Pam and Russell Stewart. In 2012 the Rosemont General Store was
purchased by the current owners Janice and Earle O‘Born. It was essential to renovate and restore the
building extensively. After being part of the Community for 33 years they created a project that would
restore the Rosemont hamlet to its past glory. The main focus was to ensure everyone in the Community could
enjoy the improvements. Also, they wanted to create sustainable employment within the Community. They
started with the General Store, ensuring it was brought up to code. It was important to them to maintain the
The Store specializes in organic, locally sourced products, homemade pies, entrees, tea
biscuits, bread, etc., and a wide selection of merchandise from the United Kingdom. There is a 30-seat café
in the store and every effort was made to keep the original decor. The aroma of freshly prepared baked goods
fills the air, with every item on the menu made from scratch. “One of the reasons we bought the store was so
people in the community had somewhere to get their newspaper, their coffee and their OLG ticket,” Janice
said. “It really has become a community hub.” The Kitchen is famous for its fresh homemade soups and
entrées, including pizza cooked in the Woodstone oven. Catering can be booked for special events on the
premises or in your chosen location. It also produces prepared foods to take away.
Three years ago the Rosemont Hospitality Group purchased, what was known as The Loyal Orange
Lodge, which had fallen into serious disrepair and made substantive renovations to the building and the
parking areas. In 1885, the hall was put up for tender and an individual by the name of Mr. Tate donated a
site for a new hall on the south side of what is now Highway 89.
Moved by 1st committeeman, second by Bro.
George Fletcher, “that this L.O.L. be adjourned until the stale cheese and biscuits of last meeting be
consumed by a number of hungry individuals.” In 1928, a committee was appointed to determine the cost of
repairing the old hall in which the Orangemen met. The building committee members consisted of Bros. E.
Brett, F. Cumberland, A. Creary, Wm. Mitchell, and W.J. Little, who were appointed on December 6, 1929.
Several special meetings were held, and it was finally decided to build a new hall with a full basement in
Rosemont. They tore down their old lodges and used the best of the lumber to build their new hall, which
still stands today. During the building of the hall, their lodge meetings were held in the Globe Hotel.
Following the death of the King George in January 1936, no entertainment was allowed in the hall for a
period of three months. In 1937, arrangements were made to have hydro installed, and the gasoline lamps were
sold. Four years later, plans were made to install central heating with a pipeless furnace. In April of
1949, the shed was sold and a washroom and woodshed were constructed, attached to the east side of the hall.
It was the hall that proved to be the biggest challenge — and perhaps the biggest achievement for the
Rosemont Hospitality Group. “The hall hadn’t been loved in a while,” Janice said. “It was massive investment
and a massive renovation. It took a year to do it.” Two bronze statues were commissioned from John Farrugia,
a local sculptor and Director of the Craganrock Studio. “Mary” a woman from the 1800s, and “George” a farmer
of the same period, when Rosemont thrived as stagecoach stop. “Mary” is installed outside The Rosemont Hall.
“George” will be located outside The Globe. The hall welcomes groups that want to hold celebrations of life,
graduations, wedding receptions and other events.