The Globe History

New owners Janice and Earle O’Born have made it their mission to restore The Globe for the local community to enjoy for many years to come. In September of 2016, renovations began to bring this historic landmark into the 21st century, while paying homage to the quaint country charm of the original establishment. Updates have been completed for both the interior and exterior of the building, creating a space that guests can appreciate while dining at the restaurant. From a humble inn to an esteemed destination for farm to table cuisine, The Globe will continue to evolve with the intention of providing delicious, local food at its core.

A Piece of Rosemont History

The Globe Hotel, one of the few early inns still to be seen in Ontario, was built on a Crown Land grant in the 1830's. The present building, dating from 1859, was one of four hotels in Rosemont, which at that time was a larger community than Alliston. It served as a local pub – the place to be in Rosemont – and a stopping point for the stage coach. It played host to travelers, salesmen, and even Fenian and other political gatherings. Prohibition in 1919 curbed its legal activities, but it still accepted overnight guests until 1955. A century has altered its outward appearance only a little from the original solid, no-nonsense attitude, it represented. The interior has been completely renovated and restored. The Globe is welcoming guests with a commitment to offer wholesome, sustainable produced foods, which are locally sourced and free from hydrogenated fats. It is also committed to composting and recycling programmes.

Competitive Forebearers!

The Globe has played an important role in the history of Rosemont, being one of four original hotels in the town’s early days. One night, a fire broke out in the hostelry built where the Anglican church now stands. The wife of the owner of The Globe rose from her bed, and grabbing her husband’s shotgun, ran outside in her nightgown and stood guard over the well — the main source of water for the village, but located on her husband’s land. She stood there, daring anyone to fetch water to aid her rival’s business until the building was past saving. The pump she guarded so valiantly is still to be seen outside — a tribute to the competitive instincts of our forebearers!